Monday, December 17, 2012

A Change of Heart


When I was applying for colleges, I always thought I knew what I wanted to be and where I wanted to go. I was going to be a Nurse Practitioner at a Pediatric Hospital and I was going to University of Alberta. I was born in Canada and my whole family is still up there so for me it was the perfect choice. Financially, culturally and atmospherically it was me. I would pay canadian rates and would have minimal loans that I would have to take out which made that stress go away for my family. Culturally I knew Edmonton like the back of my hand. I felt comfortable there and would be a good change from Orange County, California. I would have my Grandma, Aunt, Cousins and Dad whenever I needed them. I could have Sunday dinner with them if I wanted and would have the security blanket of family whenever I needed them. As far as atmospherically when I got onto campus I had that feeling that everyone wants when you step on campus. The smell, the people and the weather. It gave me that sense of belonging and it was the perfect option. University of Alberta had my heart up until March. March is when everything changed. In March, I got a call from U of A saying that my classes don't equate to their requirements. Saying that even though I graduated High School 20 credits over requirements I would not be accepted. My heart broke in that moment and I felt like I wasn't worth it. I had visited Boise State and loved the school, but never thought much of it because my heart was up north. It was always my plan B school, so I was obviously upset. Little did I know when I got here it would be one of the best decisions of my life. Boise has so much more to offer than I expected. Downtown, First Year Focus and Sorority were the three main things that contributed to my success and happiness. Downtown was such a change from home that it gave me insight on two different worlds. First Year Focus gave me a sense of belonging and community. Even though living Chaffee was a different experience it worked out really well. Sorority was awesome because it helped me build a sisterhood with life long friends. From socials and meeting new people to philanthropy work I love greek life. Overall BSU has been such an undercover blessing that I wouldn't trade for anything and gave me a complete change of heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment